For the frosting:
- 6 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
For the cake:
- Basic Vanilla Cake, baked and cooled
- 15 chocolate sandwich cookies or other cookies, chopped
Make the frosting: Put the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring, until smooth; let cool slightly. Beat the butter, vanilla and salt in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the melted white chocolate and beat until combined. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until smooth.
Assemble the cake: Place 1 cake layer on a platter; spread 1 cup frosting on top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup chopped cookies. Top with the second cake layer. Cover the whole cake with the remaining frosting, then press the remaining cookies into the sides.
Photograph by Levi Brown