- Unsalted butter, for the ramekins
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, plus more for the ramekins
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup corn kernels (from 2 ears corn)
- Kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pickled vegetables, such as carrots, green beans and okra, for serving
Whisk the milk, corn, cornmeal and a pinch of salt in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave 5 minutes. Stir and continue to microwave until thick, about 2 more minutes. Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl with a mixer until thick and airy, about 5 minutes.
Whisk 1/2 cup cheese and 1 tablespoon chives into the hot cornmeal mixture until thick. Whisk half of the cornmeal mixture into the eggs, then whisk in the remaining cornmeal mixture until smooth. Divide the batter among the prepared ramekins and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Transfer the ramekins to a baking sheet and bake until puffed and set, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 441; Fat 25 g (Saturated 10 g); Cholesterol 259 mg; Sodium 449 mg; Carbohydrate 33 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 19 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos