- 2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for preparing the pan
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups milk
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch cast iron skillet.
In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand-held electric mixer and a large bowl, combine the butter and sugar and mix until light and airy.
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
Add the cornmeal mixture to the butter mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk in 2 parts, until just combined into a thick batter. Using a rubber spatula, scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly before serving.
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved