Cornmeal Pancakes with Glazed Oranges and Cranberries
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 25 min
- 10 min
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Fine salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for cooking pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, torn
1. Finely grate the zest from one of the oranges and set aside. Trim the ends from both oranges then cut away the peel and white pith. Working over a bowl, cut along both sides of each membrane with a paring knife to remove the segments. Discard any seeds. Cut each orange into segments. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the bowl.
2. Put the cranberries and 1/4 cup orange juice in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power until cranberries plump and liquid is absorbed, about 45 seconds. Set aside.
2. Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt in a medium bowl. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Transfer the melted butter to another bowl and whisk in the buttermilk, eggs, sugar, and orange zest until smooth. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.
3. Heat some butter in the skillet and drop 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto the hot skillet. Cook until bubbles form on the top of each pancake and bottoms brown, 4 minutes. Flip and cook, until the other side is golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer pancakes to a plate and keep warm.
4. Increase the heat to medium-high and pour the remaining orange juice and marmalade into the skillet, bring to a simmer. Add the orange segments and cranberries, then swirl in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter until glazed, 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in mint. Top pancakes with the glazed oranges. Serve.
Total Fat: 21 grams
Saturated Fat: 12 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 73 grams
Protein: 11 grams
Sodium: 458 milligrams
Cholesterol: 155 milligrams
Fiber: 4.5 grams
Cook's Note: Pancakes can be made the day before and refrigerated in a resealable plastic bag. Reheat on a baking sheet in a 400degreesF oven until hot and crisp, about 10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved