- 3 cups (about 1 1/2 pints) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 kirby cucumbers, seeded, and diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups instant couscous (a 10-ounce box)
- 2 cups water
- 2 wide strips lemon zest
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/2 cup torn mint leaves, stems saved
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley, stems saved
- 3 scallions (white and green), chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, optional
Toss the tomatoes, cucumbers, and lemon juice in a bowl with 2 teaspoons of the salt. Set aside.
Put the couscous into a large bowl. Bring the water, lemon zest, 3 tablespoons of the oil, the remaining salt, cayenne, and herb stems to a boil over high heat. Pour the liquid over the couscous, stir to separate any clumps. Cover with a lid, plate, or plastic wrap, set aside for 5 minutes. Remove the zest and herb stems and fluff with a fork.
Add the tomato mixture, scallions, mint, parsley, and pine nuts. Drizzle the remaining oil over the salad, toss and serve.
Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved