- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Red sanding sugar, for rolling
Pulse the dried cranberries and granulated sugar in a food processor until the cranberries are finely ground and the sugar turns red. Add the flour, baking powder, orange zest, salt, allspice and cloves and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
Combine the cranberry juice, food coloring and vanilla in a small bowl and add to the food processor along with the egg; pulse until a dough forms. Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll heaping teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, then roll the balls in sanding sugar and arrange about 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake, switching the position of the pans halfway through, until the cookies are just set on top and golden on the bottom, 18 to 24 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
Photograph by Johnny Miller