We love the idea of including hummus in kids lunches because it's basically a kid-friendly vegetable puree. Play around with different flavors and see which ones your child prefers.
- 1 tablespoon Creamy Veggie Hummus, recipe follows
- 1 mini whole wheat bagel, toasted
- 3 baby spinach leaves
- 1 slice tomato
- 3/4 ounce smoked turkey (about 1 thin slice folded into quarters)
- 3 thin slices cucumber
Spread the Creamy Veggie Hummus on the bottom half of the bagel, then top with the spinach leaves, tomato, turkey, cucumbers and the other half of the bagel. Wrap the sandwich in a paper towel and then aluminum foil.
Creamy Veggie Hummus:
- 4 ounces Neufchatel, room temperature
- 1/4 cup prepared hummus
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 scallion, roughly chopped
Pulse Neufchatel, hummus, tomatoes, carrots, garlic and scallion in a food processor until fully mixed, but somewhat chunky. Transfer to a container. This spread will keep well in the refrigerator for about a week. Yield: 3/4 cup.
Per serving: Calories 135; Fat 3.5 g (Saturated 0 g); Cholesterol 15 mg; Sodium 325 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Protein 9 g; Fiber 1 g; Sugars 2 g