- Total Time:
- 12 hr 20 min
- 12 hr
- 20 min
- 4 servings
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups milk
- Pinch kosher salt
- Two 3-inch-long cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- Serving suggestions: Honey, sugar, maple syrup, milk, buttermilk, yogurt, or cream
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, GP. All rights reserved
In a medium bowl, combine the oats and milk. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator overnight.
Transfer the oat mixture to a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Add the salt and cinnamon sticks and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, currants, and sugar; and simmer for 5 minutes more. Remove the cinnamon sticks and serve plain or with your topping of choice.