- 1/2 cup prepared falafel mix
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, tenders removed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 3 Kirby cucumbers, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly torn
- 1/4 cup fresh dill fronds, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 red onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 lemon
Game plan: Make the salad while the chicken bakes.
For the chicken: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a small rack on a baking sheet.
Put the falafel mix in a pie plate or other shallow bowl. Heat about 1/2-inch oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper, to taste, and coat with the falafel mix, shaking off any excess. Carefully place the chicken smooth side down in the hot oil, taking care not to crowd the pan. Cook until nicely browned, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with the rest of the chicken. Transfer the chicken to the prepared rack. Bake until firm but slightly springy when pressed, 6 to 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the Yogurt Salad: Toss the mint, cucumbers, dill, onion, garlic, and salt in a small bowl. Finely grate the zest from the lemon into the salad and squeeze in the lemon's juice too. Stir the yogurt into the salad.
Arrange chicken on a platter and serve with salad or put a chicken breast on each of 4 plates with the salad.
Cook's Note: Don't toss those chicken tenders! Save them and thread on skewers for kabobs, pan-fry for burritos, or stir-fry.
Dip, shake, and fry your way to the Middle East. Preseasoned with exotic spices, falafel mix adds a fresh coat of crunch to chicken.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.