Curried Chicken Salad on Apple Rounds
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
These clever little low-calorie and gluten-free sandwiches use apple rounds to stand in for the bread. We prefer crisp, red varieties but[ Granny Smiths work just as well.]
- 1/2 cup 2-percent Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, meat shredded, skin and bones discarded (about 2 cups meat)
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 3 large crisp red apples, such as Pink Lady or Honeycrisp
- 8 small Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves
Whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, scallions, curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper in a medium bowl. Add the chicken, pecans, parsley, celery and raisins and fold to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 3 days).
Core the apples and cut each into six to eight 1/4-inch thick rounds, for a total of 16 rounds. Arrange a lettuce leaf on 8 apple rounds and top each with about 1/4 cup of chicken salad. Sandwich with the remaining apple slices. Serve immediately.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay