Curried Chicken Salad
- 4 cups diced poached chicken breast, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup minced red onion, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh coriander ( cilantro)
- 1 heaping tablespoon golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, like soy, peanut, or corn
- 1 tablespoon Madras-style curry powder
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Major Grey's mango chutney, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cashew nuts or slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- Serving suggestions:
- 2 cups lettuce or 4 medium pita breads
- POACHED CHICKEN FOR SALADS
- 10 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 small carrot, halved
- 1 stalk celery, halved
- 3 pounds split chicken breasts, on the bone and fat trimmed
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
In a medium bowl, toss together the chicken, onion, coriander, and raisins.
In a small saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat, add the curry powder, and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove pan from the heat and set oil aside to cool.
In a small bowl mix together the curry oil, mayonnaise, lime juice and chutney. Gently fold the chicken mixture into the flavored mayonnaise. Add the nuts, if desired. Serve on a bed of lettuce or in a pita sandwich.POACHED CHICKEN FOR SALADS
Put the parsley, thyme, onion, carrot, celery, and chicken breasts in a medium saucepan. Cover with the broth, and bring just to a boil. Lower the heat to very low and cover. Poach the chicken for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove the pan from the heat, uncover, cool the chicken in the stock for 30 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and reserve the liquid. Bone and skin the chicken and cut the meat into 1 inch cubes. Discard the bones and skin.
Strain the broth and store, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze for later use. Remove any fat from the surface of the broth before using.
Yield: 4 cups cubed chicken or 4 to 6 servings
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Curried Chicken Salad Wraps, Kicked Up BLT Chicken Salads with Blue Cheese, "Ono-lishious": Grilled Sesame Chicken Satay Papaya Salad with Hoisin Balsamic Vinaigrette, Easy Main Dish, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Thai Chicken Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Roasted Chicken Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.