- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fried onions (one 2.8-ounce can)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for topping
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (remove seeds for less heat)
Put the potatoes, 2 teaspoons salt and enough cold water to cover in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are almost tender, 3 to 6 minutes. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the potatoes.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cayenne and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
Add the chickpeas, 1 cup fried onions and 1/2 cup reserved cooking water; cook, mashing the potatoes with a spoon, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add more cooking water, if needed. Season with salt.
Mix the yogurt, chopped cilantro, lime juice and 2 tablespoons water in a bowl. Divide the potato-chickpea mixture among bowls. Top with the yogurt sauce, the remaining 1 cup fried onions, the sliced jalapeno and cilantro leaves.
Photograph by Andrew Mccaul