- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups thickly sliced leeks (white and tender green parts)
- 6 cups large diced butternut squash, (1 1/2 to 2 pounds squash)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (13.25-ounce) package Whole Grain Penne
- 1 pound grated part-skim mozzarella
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Pulse walnuts, parsley and parmesan in a food processor until they look like bread crumbs.
Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, and squash and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, sage, and nutmeg. Reduce heat add gradually add broth and milk. Simmer, stirring, until thickened, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
Cook pasta according to package instructions; drain. Combine pasta with the vegetables and mozzarella. Pour into a 9 by 13-inch casserole. Sprinkle with the walnut topping. Bake until the top is golden, about 25 minutes. Rest 5 minutes before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.