Deviled Short Ribs
- 8 pieces English cut beef short ribs, about 6 pounds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 21/2 cups homemade chicken broth or low-sodium canned
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup dry mustard
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 ounces sourdough bread, crusts trimmed, and torn into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. For ribs: Preheat oven to 350degreesF.
2. Lay short ribs meaty side up in a large roasting pan and season with salt and pepper. Scatter carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary around ribs. Add chicken broth and vinegar. Set pan directly over two burners and bring to a simmer over high heat. Place a sheet of parchment paper over ribs and transfer to oven. Cook until meat is fork-tender, about 2 hours. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
3. Increase oven temperature to 450F.
4. For coating: Whisk mustard with honey, water, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Pulse bread to coarse crumbs in a food processor. Add garlic, parsley, olive oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste and pulse briefly to combine. Transfer mixture to a shallow bowl.
5. Remove ribs from braising liquid and pat dry. Brush meaty side of each rib with mustard mixture, Press into bread crumb mixture to coat. Arrange ribs on a baking sheet and roast until bread crumbs are brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Total Fat: 75 grams
Saturated Fat: 30 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 30 grams
Protein: 136 grams
Sodium: 1310 milligrams
Cholesterol: 400 milligrams
Fiber: 3 grams
Thank you! your flag was submitted.