- Kosher salt
- 1 cup small pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 8 cups precut mixed vegetables
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Paprika, for topping
- Whole-wheat rolls, for serving (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs, then drain and rinse under cold water. Transfer to a bowl; drizzle lightly with olive oil and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, Canadian bacon, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and half of the dill and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and slightly golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add the mixed vegetables and 1/4 cup water to the pot; cover and cook until beginning to soften, 4 minutes. Add the broth, 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Bring to a high simmer and cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 more minutes. Stir in the pasta and the remaining dill; season with salt and pepper.
Divide the soup among bowls. Top with the sour cream and sprinkle with paprika. Serve with rolls.
Per serving: Calories 403; Fat 15 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 53 mg; Sodium 1,145 mg; Carbohydrate 47 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 21 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani