- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup minced mixed fresh herbs and celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cold buttermilk
Whisk the flour, herb mixture, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until sandy. Stir in the buttermilk.
Turn out onto a floured piece of parchment paper. Pat into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle.
Cut the dough into rough 2-inch squares with a large knife. Cover with plastic wrap.
Photograph by Con Poulos