- sheet frozen puff pastry (half of a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 pounds large plums, halved and pitted
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lay the pastry on a floured surface and cut in half. Sprinkle one piece with the almonds and some sugar; lay the other piece on top. Press together with a rolling pin to make a 6-by-14-inch rectangle. Score a 1-inch border with a knife. Pierce the middle with a fork and make small slits with a knife. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with water and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on a rack.
Stir 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons water and the lemon juice in a heavy pan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat just until the sugar melts. Uncover and cook, swirling the pan, until amber, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add the plums, 3 tablespoons butter and the vanilla pod and seeds. Cook over low heat, tossing, until the plums are soft and the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter and swirl to combine.
Photograph by Con Poulos