Easy Tomato Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 fennel bulb, chopped, about 2 1/2 cups
- 1/2 large onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 2 cups homemade vegetable broth or low-sodium canned
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 6 basil leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add fennel, onion, garlic, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, fennel seed, and crushed pepper, if using, and cook until vegetables soften and brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Drain and reserve juice from tomatoes, and gently crush tomatoes with your hands. Add tomatoes, increase heat to high, and cook until slightly brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Add reserved juices from tomatoes, vegetable broth, tomato juice, and basil leaves. Bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook until vegetables are cooked through and soup reduces and thickens, about 30 minutes.
Total Fat: 5 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 10 grams
Protein: 2 grams
Sodium: 550 milligrams
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Fiber: 2 grams
Thank you! your flag was submitted.