- 6 large eggs
- 1 to 2 bunches baby turnips, trimmed and quartered, or 4 medium turnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 heads endive, chopped
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce, torn
- 1/2 head escarole or frisee, torn
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Put the eggs and turnips in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Remove the eggs but keep the turnips in the hot water, covered, until tender, 2 to 3 more minutes. Peel the eggs and cut into quarters.
Drain the turnips, then return to the warm pan and toss with the butter (turn on the heat to melt the butter if needed). Add the tarragon, chives, olive oil and lemon juice and toss.
Toss the endive, lettuce, escarole, celery and beans in a large
bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the eggs and turnip mixture and gently toss again.
Per serving: Calories 399; Fat 27 g (Saturated 9 g); Cholesterol 345 mg; Sodium 222 mg; Carbohydrate 26 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 16 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos