These open-face eggplant parms are better than the original; much lower in fat, super tasty and fresh!
- 1 1/4 pounds cherry tomatoes (about 4 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, skin-on
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 small globe eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces whole-grain salt-free melba toast, finely crushed (9 pieces)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 8 basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 square ciabatta rolls, split, insides removed, and lightly toasted cut-side up
- 4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Have two racks set up in the oven.
Place 3/4 of the tomatoes and 2 garlic cloves on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Roast until the tomatoes burst and start to caramelize, about 30 minutes. Peel the roasted garlic and puree with the tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor to make the sauce.
Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Peel the eggplant top-to-bottom in alternating strips, so that some of the skin is left on, and slice into 1/3 inch rounds. Dip only one side of each round into the egg white and then into the crushed melba toast. Lay out on the sheet tray, crumb-side up. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spray with more cooking spray. Bake until just tender, about 25 minutes.
Dice the remaining 1/4 of tomatoes, and toss with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, red wine vinegar, basil leaves and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Preheat the broiler. Place the toasted ciabatta halves on a baking sheet cut-side up. Cut the remaining garlic clove in half and rub on the bread. Spoon 2 tablespoons of sauce on top of each ciabatta half, then top with 3 or 4 overlapping slices of eggplant, 2 more tablespoons sauce, shredded mozzarella, and grated parmesan. Broil until the cheese melts and starts to bubble, about 3 minutes. Top each open-faced sandwich with the fresh tomato and basil salad.
Per serving: Calories 370; Fat 12 g (Saturated 4.5 g); Cholesterol 20 mg; Sodium 980 mg; Carbohydrate 51 g; Protein 18 g; Fiber 8 g; Sugars 7 g