- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 ounces deli-sliced salami, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Italian green frying pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup tomato puree or marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- Crusty bread, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and discard. Increase the heat to high and add the salami, onion, peppers and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until the salami starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree and 1/2 cup water and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium. Scatter the parsley leaves into the skillet. Make 4 indentations in the pepper mixture for the eggs. Break 2 eggs into a small bowl, then pour both into one of the indentations. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Sprinkle with the grated cheese. Cover and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to desired doneness. Serve with the bread.
Per serving: Calories 377; Fat 27 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 463 mg; Sodium 732 mg; Carbohydrate 14 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 21 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos