- 1 large tomatillo, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced (remove seeds for less heat)
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/4 pounds catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup instant flour (such as Wondra) or cornstarch
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
Make the salsa: Mix the tomatillo, tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeno in a bowl and season with salt.
Heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a deep skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Season the fish with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then toss with the flour in a bowl. Fry the fish in 2 batches, turning as needed, until golden brown and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain; season with salt.
Fill the tortillas with the fish, lettuce and salsa. Serve the tacos with lime wedges.
Per serving: Calories 534; Fat 40 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 67 mg; Sodium 360 mg; Carbohydrate 21 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 25 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos