Four-Cheese Pasta With Peas and Ham
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces penne
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 egg white
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (1 scant cup)
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 3 ounces fontina cheese, grated (1 scant cup)
- 3 ounces deli ham, in 1 piece, diced
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until very al dente, about 8 minutes, adding the peas in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, egg white, evaporated milk and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
Drain the pasta and peas; wipe the pot dry and return the pasta and peas to the pot. Add the butter and stir to coat. Add the cheddar, mozzarella, fontina and the egg mixture. Place the pot over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes, adding the ham halfway through cooking (don't let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble). Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the parmesan.
Per serving: Calories 878; Fat 43 g (Saturated 26 g); Cholesterol 249 mg; Sodium 1,273 mg; Carbohydrate 77 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 44 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.