- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 medium green tomatoes (about 1 pound), cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices raw bacon
- Vegetable oil for frying
Heat a large skillet cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Lay the bacon in the skillet and cook, turning once, until crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain, reserve the bacon fat in the skillet. Pour the oil into skillet to a depth of 1/2 inch and heat until hot.
Meanwhile, drain the tomatoes and toss in the cornmeal mixture until well coated. Working in batches if needed, fry the coated tomatoes, turning once, until lightly browned and hot, about 3 minutes the first side, and 2 minutes the second side. Using a slotted spatula or spoon, transfer the tomatoes to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
Arrange the fried tomatoes on a platter and crumble the bacon over the top. Serve immediately.
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved