Fried Zucchini Coins
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 2 small zucchini, sliced into 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick coins
Beat the eggs in another bowl.
Heat 1/4-inch vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
Working in small batches, toss the zucchini coins in the eggs, then coat in the cornmeal mixture to cover completely. Carefully drop the zucchini into the oil, and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side or until crisp. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared plate. Season with salt, cool slightly and serve.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchens