- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, preferably heirloom varieties, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces cucumbers, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), roughly chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/4 jalapeno, stemmed and roughly chopped (with seeds if you like the heat)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chilled low-sodium tomato juice
- 4 ice cubes
- 4 tablespoons cubed cucumber, for garnish, optional
On a cutting board, lightly sprinkle the garlic with a pinch of salt and smash it into a paste with the flat side of a large knife.
Mix the smashed garlic, tomatoes, roughly chopped cucumbers, scallions, bell peppers, jalapenos, parsley and mint in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the olive oil and sherry, and toss well.
Add half of the vegetable mixture to a blender and pulse. Add half of the tomato juice and 2 ice cubes. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour for the flavors to come together.
Divide among chilled soup bowls, drizzle with olive oil, garnish with cubed cucumbers if using and serve.
Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
From Food Network Kitchens; after further testing and to ensure the best results this recipe has been altered from what was in the actual episode.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray