- 1 large shallot, minced
- Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges for serving
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken cutlets
- 1/2 cup large-cut croutons
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat a grill to high. Soak the minced shallot in cold water, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a shallow dish; add the chicken and turn to coat. Grill the chicken until golden and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Let cool, then slice.
Crush half of the croutons; set aside. Soak the remaining croutons in 1/4 cup water, 5 minutes, then squeeze out the water and put in a blender. Drain the shallot and add to the blender along with half each of the diced tomatoes, cucumber and bell pepper. With the motor running, drizzle in the remaining 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add 2 cups ice and blend until smooth. Stir in half of the cilantro and the remaining lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: Calories 383; Fat 23 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 78 mg; Sodium 105 mg; Carbohydrate 14 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 31 g
Photographs by Antonis Achilleos