- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 packed cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Beat the butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the light brown sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes more. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the pumpkin mixture in 2 parts, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix briefly at medium-low speed to make a smooth batter. Turn off beaters and add the crystallized ginger. Finish folding batter--which will be thick--by hand with a rubber spatula.
Scrape batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean and top springs back when lightly pressed, about 55 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 10 to 15 minutes, then invert pan to release cake onto rack to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired. Serve.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.