- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 15 min
- 1 hr
- 12 servings
- Softened unsalted butter, as needed
- 1 cup vegetable oil, like soy, peanut, or corn
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten with a fork
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Serving suggestions: Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Lightly butter a 9 by 13 by 2-inch cake pan and line the bottom with a piece of parchment or wax paper. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, molasses, and crystallized ginger. Add the eggs and whisk until smooth.
In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Whisk the molasses mixture into the flour mixture until evenly combined.
In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda. Whisk the hot water into the batter until just combined. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake in the center of the oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack. Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.