Glazed Apples and Pears
- 2 firm cooking apples, such as Golden Delicious, Macoun, Cortland, or Gravenstien
- 2 ripe pears, such as Anjou, Bartlett, or Comice
- 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick or vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Calvados or Apple Jack, optional
- Serving suggestion: Vanilla Ice cream and gingerbread cookies
Peel, halve and core, both the apples and pears. Cut each 1/2 into 4 wedges and transfer to a medium bowl. Halve the lemon and squeeze the juice over the fruit, toss lightly.
Melt the butter in a skillet over high heat. Add the sugar, and cook until the sugar begins to caramelize. Add the fruit the caramel may seize (harden) don't be alarmed. Add the cinnamon stick or vanilla, and cook, stirring, until the caramel melts, and the fruit is juicy, about 7 minutes.
If adding the Calvados, remove the pan from the heat before adding the alcohol. Return the pan to the heat. To flambe the alcohol on a gas burner, carefully tip the pan toward the flame; and on an electric element hold a long match at the inside edge of the pan until it ignites. Swirl the pan over the heat until the flame subsides. Serve fruit, warm, over ice cream with cookies.
Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Thank you! your flag was submitted.