- 2 Cornish game hens (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Asian chili sauce (such as sambal oelek)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small cantaloupe
- 1 shallot
- 1 English cucumber
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Season the hens all over with salt and pepper, place on a rack in a roasting pan and roast 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the chili sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, olive oil and 2 teaspoons salt in a measuring cup to dissolve the sugar. Set half of the mixture aside in a bowl for the salad. Baste the hens with some of the remaining dressing, then rotate the pan and continue to cook until the hens are golden and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 160 degrees F, about 20 more minutes.
Divide the salad among plates. Use kitchen shears to cut each hen in half and place one half on each plate. Drizzle the pan juices over the hens and salad.
Per serving: Calories 508; Fat 34 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 168 mg; Sodium 159 mg; Carbohydrate 20 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 30 g
Photographs by Antonis Achilleos