- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup pepperoncini and/or kalamata olives, plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs (parsley, dill, mint and/or oregano)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 12 stuffed grape leaves (from the deli counter)
Soak the onion in a small bowl of ice water, about 5 minutes. Make the dressing: Whisk the vinegar, pepperoncini or olive brine, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow stream until blended.
Drain the onion and add to the bowl with the dressing. Add the lettuce, herbs, tomatoes and cucumbers and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and top with the pepperoncini and/or olives, feta and stuffed grape leaves.
Per serving: Calories 338; Fat 27 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 33 mg; Sodium 1,018 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 9 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos