- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 14-ounce cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 large red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh mint, dill or a combination
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pumpkin pie spice or allspice
- 2 thick slices sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 12 ounces ground beef chuck
- 1 14-ounce can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon
Put the chicken broth and tomatoes in a large Dutch oven or pot, cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, put the onion, olives, mint, oregano and pumpkin pie spice in a food processor; pulse until very finely chopped. Add half of the onion mixture to the pot.
Add the bread to the food processor with the remaining onion mixture and pulse to form wet crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl, add the beef and mix with your hands until just combined. Form into 20 small meatballs and add to the pot. Cook, turning the meatballs once, until just firm, about 3 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 436; Fat 20 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 1,294 mg; Carbohydrate 43 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 26 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani