- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Greek
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce (about 1 pound), trimmed of tough stems and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 6 ounces calamata olives, about 1 cup
- 1/2 pound Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 English (seedless) cucumber, trimmed, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 12 ounces vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes and drained
- 1 green pepper, trimmed, seeded, and diced
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, salt, and oil. Stir in the oregano and pepper to taste. Set aside.
When ready to serve: In a large bowl lightly toss the lettuce with some of the dressing. Divide the lettuce among 4 salad bowls. Scatter the olives, cheese, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and peppers over the top of the greens. Serve and pass the remaining dressing at the table.
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.