Green Eggs and Ham
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup diced half-sour pickles, plus 2 tablespoons pickling liquid
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups instant flour (such as Wondra)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ham steak (about 1 pound), cut into 4 equal pieces
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
Place 2 eggs in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook 8 to 10 minutes. Cool in a bowl of ice water. Peel the eggs, then separate the whites and chop them. Mash the yolks in a bowl, then whisk in 2 tablespoons warm water, the pickling liquid and mustard. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Add 2 tablespoons parsley, the chives, tarragon, egg whites, pickles, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.
Combine the flour, the remaining 6 tablespoons parsley and a pinch of pepper in a shallow dish. In another dish, beat the remaining egg with the milk. Dip each piece of ham in the flour to coat both sides, then dip in the milk mixture and re-dip in the flour mixture.
Heat 1/8 inch of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling. Fry the ham in batches until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Fry the capers in the skillet until crisp, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the ham steaks with the capers, and serve the egg mixture on the side to spoon on top.
Per serving: Calories 449; Fat 32 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 165 mg; Sodium 1,981 mg; Carbohydrate 9 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 29 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.