Grilled Calamari with Parsley and Pickled Shallot Salad
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Fresno or Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 1 pound squid (12 bodies and 4 tentacles), cleaned
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked (about 2 3/4 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Preheat a grill to high heat. Heat the sugar, sherry vinegar, and 2 tablespoons water in the microwave until warm, about 1 minute. Add the shallots and chile to the vinegar and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
2. Toss the squid with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. If using an outdoor grill, place the squid in a grill basket and press together to flatten. Alternatively, for indoor grill pans, weigh the squid bodies down with a cast-iron skillet or bacon press. Grill on both sides until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Slice the bodies into rings and divide evenly among 4 shallow bowls with the tentacles.
3. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over the parsley in a medium bowl and toss with the shallots and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the salad on the squid and spoon the vinegar over top. Garnish with a lemon wedge and serve.
Total Fat: 16 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 20 grams
Protein: 20 grams
Sodium: 187 milligrams
Cholesterol: 264 milligrams
Fiber: 1 gram
Thank you! your flag was submitted.