Grilled Caribbean Flank Steak with Mojo and Plantains
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 35 min
- 10 min
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus for brushing
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2 ripe yellow plantains
1. For steak: Stir oil, allspice, salt, garlic powder, cayenne, and pepper together in a bowl, to make a paste. Rub mixture all over steak and set aside until room temperature, about 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Preheat a grill to high.
3. For mojo: Toast cumin seeds in a small dry skillet over high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Grind seeds in a spice grinder or using a mortar and pestle.
4. Heat olive oil and garlic along with toasted cumin over medium-high heat until garlic begins to sizzle, about 2 minutes. Cool oil slightly and whisk with lime juice, oregano, salt, pepper, and jalapeno in medium bowl.
5. Grill steak until slightly charred and crisp and medium-rare, about 4 minutes per side.
Set aside on a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Brush plantains lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill, skin-side down, and cook until soft and skin is charred about 5 minutes. Turn and cook to sear on grill marks, about 2 minutes more.
7. Slice steak and arrange on a platter with plantains, drizzle with some mojo. Serve with remaining sauce at table.
Total Fat: 28 grams
Saturated Fat: 5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 24 grams
Protein: 26 grams
Sodium: 1830 milligrams
Cholesterol: 35 milligrams
Fiber: 2 gram