Grilled Caribbean Flank Steak with Mojo and Plantains
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus for brushing
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2 ripe yellow plantains
1. For steak: Stir oil, allspice, salt, garlic powder, cayenne, and pepper together in a bowl, to make a paste. Rub mixture all over steak and set aside until room temperature, about 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Preheat a grill to high.
3. For mojo: Toast cumin seeds in a small dry skillet over high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Grind seeds in a spice grinder or using a mortar and pestle.
4. Heat olive oil and garlic along with toasted cumin over medium-high heat until garlic begins to sizzle, about 2 minutes. Cool oil slightly and whisk with lime juice, oregano, salt, pepper, and jalapeno in medium bowl.
5. Grill steak until slightly charred and crisp and medium-rare, about 4 minutes per side.
Set aside on a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Brush plantains lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill, skin-side down, and cook until soft and skin is charred about 5 minutes. Turn and cook to sear on grill marks, about 2 minutes more.
7. Slice steak and arrange on a platter with plantains, drizzle with some mojo. Serve with remaining sauce at table.
Total Fat: 28 grams
Saturated Fat: 5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 24 grams
Protein: 26 grams
Sodium: 1830 milligrams
Cholesterol: 35 milligrams
Fiber: 2 gram
Thank you! your flag was submitted.