- 1 plum tomato, halved
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, plus 2 tablespoons oil from the jar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bunch fresh basil, torn
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 cups Italian-blend salad greens or baby arugula
- 8 ounces bocconcini (small mozzarella balls), quartered
Preheat a grill to high. Puree the plum tomato, sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, oregano, a few basil leaves and 2 tablespoons parmesan in a blender, drizzling in the sun-dried tomato oil until smooth. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons water, if needed; season with salt and pepper.
Halve the chicken breasts horizontally to make four 1/4-inch-thick cutlets. Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken until marked on the bottom, about 4 minutes, then turn and grill until cooked through, about 3 more minutes. Transfer to a cutting board.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon parmesan and the parsley and cook until toasted, about 1 more minute.
Toss the salad greens and remaining basil in a large bowl. Cut the chicken into pieces and add to the greens along with the mozzarella. Toss with the dressing, then sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture.
Photographs by Kate Sears