- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 10-ounce package white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley and/or chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices crusty bread
- Dijon or whole-grain mustard, for spreading
- 1/3 pound white cheddar cheese (about 8 slices)
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced ham (8 to 12 slices)
- 1/3 pound muenster cheese (about 8 slices)
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When very hot, add 1/2 tablespoon butter and half of the mushrooms; cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with 1/2 tablespoon more butter and the remaining mushrooms; transfer to the bowl. Add the herbs to the bowl and toss; season with salt and pepper. Wipe out the skillet.
Build the sandwiches: Spread each slice of bread with mustard and sandwich with the cheddar, ham, mushroom mixture and muenster.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet over low heat. Add the sandwiches and cook, turning once and adding more butter if needed, until the bread is golden and the cheese melts, about 12 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 652; Fat 34 g (Saturated 19 g); Cholesterol 113 mg; Sodium 1,678 mg; Carbohydrate 47 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 37 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani