- 1 3/4 to 2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and cut crosswise into 4-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup cola
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large white onion, cut into 2-inch-thick wedges
- 2 to 3 banana or Cubanelle peppers
Pierce the steak a few times with a fork. Toast the sesame seeds in a skillet over medium heat until golden, shaking the pan, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
Combine the sesame seeds, garlic, cola, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the steak and onion wedges, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Remove the steak and onion wedges from the marinade with a slotted spoon and transfer to a baking sheet. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Grill the onion wedges and peppers, turning, until charred, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Grill the steak until charred, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Add to the platter.
Photograph by Tina Rupp