Grilled Portobello, Scallion & Manchego Sandwiches
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 23 min
- 15 min
- 8 min
- 2 teaspoons pimenton
- 3 drained jarred piquillo peppers
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium portobello mushrooms (about 1 pound), stemmed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 scallions (white and green parts), trimmed
- 8 1/2 -inch thick slices country-style bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 4 ounces manchego cheese, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
1. For dressing: Toast pimenton in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Puree pimenton, piquillo peppers, mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper, to taste, in a blender until smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
2. For vegetables: Preheat grill or stovetop grill pan to medium-high. Brush both sides of the mushrooms with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill mushrooms, turning once, until tender and slightly charred, about 5 minutes. Brush scallions with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and grill, turning occasionally, until soft and slightly charred, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and roughly chop.
3. Grill bread on both sides until lightly toasted. Rub garlic and spread dressing onto one side of each piece toast. Layer scallions, mushrooms, and cheese on 4 toasts, and top with remaining bread. Press down slightly and cut in half; serve.
Total Fat: 23 grams
Saturated Fat: 6 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 26 grams
Protein: 9 grams
Sodium: 1370 milligrams
Cholesterol: 15 milligrams
Fiber: 3 gram