Grilled Salad with Herbed Vinaigrette
- Total Time:
- 18 min
- 12 min
- 6 min
- 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 fillet anchovy, minced, optional
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped tarragon leaves
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and discarded
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 head romaine, quartered, root end attached
Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat.
Whisk the vinegar with the anchovy, if using, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream to make a smooth, slightly thick vinaigrette. Whisk in the parsley and tarragon and set aside.
Lay the romaine, mushrooms, and tomatoes out on a sheet pan and lightly brush them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the mushrooms on the grill smooth side down. Grill until juices collect in the cap and mushrooms soften, about 3 minutes. Turn them over and cook until slightly charred around the edges and the center is very tender, about 3 minutes more. Put the tomatoes on the grill skin side down and grill until juicy and charred, about 6 minutes. Grill the romaine, turning to slightly char all sides, until the core end is tender, about 5 minutes.
Divide the wedges of romaine, mushroom caps, and tomatoes among 4 plates. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salads and serve.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine