- Cooking spray
- 8 Italian sausage links (sweet, hot or a combination), halved crosswise
- 10 baby bell peppers (8 whole, 2 thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup pennette or other small pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Heat a grill pan over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Thread 2 sausage halves and 1 whole baby bell pepper onto each of 8 metal skewers. Brush the kebabs with 1 tablespoon olive oil and grill, turning as needed and covering the pan halfway through cooking, until marked all over, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Combine the 2 sliced baby bell peppers, the spinach, olives, garlic, basil and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl; toss to coat. Drain the pasta and immediately transfer to the bowl with the spinach mixture; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and top with the cheese. Serve the pasta salad with the kebabs.
Per serving: Calories 493; Fat 26 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 48 mg; Sodium 944 mg; Carbohydrate 36 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 30 g
Photograph by Johnny Miller