- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 flank steak (about 11/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed
- 8 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Grilled thick slices crusty bread, for serving
1. Prepare an outdoor grill with a high fire. Brush grill grate lightly with oil. Lightly rub steak with some olive oil and sprinkle with herbes de Provence and salt and pepper to taste. Place tomatoes, scallions, and garlic cloves in a large bowl, coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Place steak on grill, arrange vegetables around it, and grill 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the meat reads 120degreesF to 125degreesF for rare; 125degreesF to 130degreesF for medium-rare; or 130degreesF to 135degreesF for medium, and the vegetables are charred. Transfer steak and vegetables to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
3. Core tomatoes once cool enough to handle. Squeeze garlic cloves from their skins and chop with tomatoes and scallions until chunky. Transfer vegetable relish, including juice, to a bowl and stir in remaining olive oil, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Slice meat against grain and on an angle, and transfer to a plate or platter. Serve with relish and grilled bread.
Nutrition Info (per serving): includes one slice of sourdough bread per serving:
Total Fat: 21 grams
Saturated Fat: 5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 24 grams
Protein: 29 grams
Sodium: 366 milligrams
Cholesterol: 40 milligrams
Fiber: 2 grams