Grilled Steak With Chickpea Salad and Cilantro Pesto
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro (about 1 large bunch)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 2 15 -ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Preheat a grill to medium high. Season the steak with salt and pepper and rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Lightly brush the grill grates with olive oil. Grill the steak 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board to rest, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the pesto: Puree the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, the cilantro, garlic, cumin, paprika, 3 tablespoons water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mini food processor or blender until smooth.
Toss the chickpeas, carrots, scallions, the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of the pesto in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Thinly slice the steak against the grain. Serve with the chickpea salad and the remaining pesto.
Per serving: Calories 648; Fat 31 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 65 mg; Sodium 383 mg; Carbohydrate 43 g; Fiber 10 g; Protein 47 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.