- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 chipotle chile from canned chipotles in adobo, minced
- Finely grated zest and juice from 1 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for grilling
- 2 T-bone steaks, each about 1 1/2 pounds and 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick
1. In a small bowl, combine the butter, chipotle, lime zest and juice, and 1 teaspoon salt. Mash with a spoon until smooth. Mound the mixture onto a square of plastic wrap, form into a log shape about 6 inches long, and roll up in the plastic; twist the ends of the plastic tightly to seal. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
2. Prepare a grill for high-heat cooking. Rub some oil onto the steaks and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush the grill grate with oil. Grill the steaks, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally in the meat but not touching the bone registers 130 degrees F for medium-rare, about 8 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and allow to rest 10 minutes. Slice the steaks and divide among plates; top each serving with a slice of the chipotle butter.