- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 3/4 cup guava paste
- 1 14-ounce package frozen empanada wrappers, thawed
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Pulse the cream cheese, egg, sugar, lime zest and lime juice in a food processor until smooth.
Put 1 tablespoon guava paste in the center of each empanada wrapper, then top with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture. Fold the dough over the filling and press the edges with a fork to seal.
Heat about 11/2 inches vegetable oil in a wide saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Working in batches, fry the empanadas until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. (Return the oil to 350 degrees F between batches.) Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Photograph by Yunhee Kim