Ham and Cheese Pan Souffle
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 8 ounces manchego or aged provolone cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 Anaheim chile peppers, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound boiled ham, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Preheat the oven to 400. Cover the potatoes with water in a pot; season with salt, cover and boil until just tender, 2 minutes. Drain.
Whisk the egg yolks, cheese, flour, and pepper to taste in a bowl.
Heat a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the onion and chiles and cook until browned, 4 minutes. Add the ham and cook 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the potatoes to the skillet and cook until golden, 4 minutes. Add the paprika, parsley and garlic and cook 1 minute. Transfer to the same bowl.
Beat the egg whites, 2 tablespoons water and 1/2 teaspoon salt with a mixer until soft peaks form. Stir one-third of the whites into the yolk mixture, then gently fold in the rest. Oil the skillet, if dry, and place over medium-low heat. Add the egg mixture, cover and cook until the top just sets, 4 to 6 minutes. Top with the filling and transfer to the oven, uncovered, until set, 5 to 7 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 641; Fat 44 g (Saturated 19 g); Cholesterol 373 mg; Sodium 1,215 mg; Carbohydrate 32 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 32 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.