- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons pepitas (hulled green pumpkin seeds) or chopped almonds
- Chipotle hot sauce
- 8 slices whole-grain sandwich bread, toasted
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula or mixed baby greens
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Potato salad, for serving (optional)
Mash the goat cheese, pepitas and 2 to 3 teaspoons hot sauce in a bowl with a fork until combined. Spread the mixture evenly on 4 slices of bread, then top with the ham and avocado.
Toss the arugula with the olive oil, a few dashes of hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Add the arugula to the sandwiches and cover with the remaining bread. Serve with potato salad.
Per serving: Calories 479; Fat 30 g (Saturated 9 g); Cholesterol 41 mg; Sodium 1,088 mg; Carbohydrate 38 g; Fiber 10 g; Protein 27 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani