- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup water or milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Chocolate Coconut Glaze:
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut chips or shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- Equipment: 12 cup jumbo muffin tin
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the large muffin tins with large cupcake liners.
Put the butter, coffee, water, and cocoa in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on HIGH until the butter melts, about 2 minutes. Whisk to combine.
Meanwhile, whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Beat the sour cream with the egg and vanilla in a small bowl. Whisk the hot cocoa mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir in the sour cream mixture just to combine; don't overmix. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin tins, filling each one about 3/4 of the way full (about 2/3 cup per cupcake). Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Cool the cupcakes completely in the tin on a rack. Remove from liners and return cakes to a rack.
For the glaze: Put chocolate in a medium bowl. Bring coconut milk and corn syrup to a boil, stirring constantly, then pour it over the chocolate. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes, then stir until smooth. Spread 1 tablespoon warm glaze evenly over each cake, then scatter the coconut over the top.
Cook's Note We prefer Dutch-process cocoa here over natural cocoa for its fuller, deeper flavor.